Thursday, January 11, 2018

Drop the Bag of Rocks

We are all carrying around something. Throughout our lives we gather hurts, guilt, ideas, and other bits and pieces that stick with us throughout. Many of these things are detrimental to our physical, and even mental, health. I call these negative things the Bag of Rocks. We drag them around often without knowing that we have them and they can and do affect our lives, often in negative ways. It's a difficult thing to do but my theory is that you have to find a way to put these things down so that you can be a more complete and free person.
Put it Down Bro

This life is like a road. You start in one place. That place is where you get to begin making many of your own decisions. Let's say around 5 years old. You begin to create friendships and you begin to decide how you feel about certain people and things in your life. You have set yourself on a path with a thousand branches and what happens on each leg will stick with you. The big ones, both good and bad, are your rocks and if you mean to or not you will stick them in your bag and carry them off onto the next branch in the road.

Fast forward 20 years and this bag of rocks may be a heavy one already. Your failures, your relationships, the pain others have caused you, loss of loved ones, bullying. All of these things can be and probably are stuffed in your bag of rocks. Some of those rocks are heavier than others. One rock that I carried around for way too long was the one where I was always told I was an ugly person. It was one hell of a heavy rock, so big that I saw the same thing in the mirror that others had said they saw. The thought affected my actions, so I worked out ans stood in a very aggressive stance against any slight perceived or otherwise. The thing about that rock was that it wasn't at all true. I am not nor had I ever been an unattractive person. That was a heavy rock to carry and it being able to finally put it down changed my life and lifted a great weight off of my shoulders.

That was one rock out of many. Though the weight lessened the other rocks affected my relationships, job performances and general attitude towards everything. Once I realized that I got to decide who and what I am it became easier and easier to drop more and more rocks. My journey became simpler, and choosing the most advantageous branch on my path became easier. In some way or another we will always carry some rocks. The beauty is you get to look at and leave behind any of the rocks you choose. You don't have to carry all, or any, of the rocks in your bag. You can even choose to put the whole damned bag down and never carry another unwanted rock.

Examine your personal Bag of Rocks. Look closely at what you think abd believe. Look at what you think and believe about what you think and believe. If this thing does not suit you or does not make you feel good or does not make you a better person, put it down and leave it there on the side of the path. Carry on without the extra weight. Yes, you can do it. It is possible. Go ahead and see. Drop that bag of rocks and move on down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment